The 1816 first edition of Emma that Jane Austen signed and gave to her friend Anne Sharp [thought to be the inspiration for the character of Mrs. Weston] will be available for sale at this weekend’s International Antiquarian Book Fair in Hong Kong [January 17-19, 2009]. It will cost you a mere HK$3.95 million. See the full article about other titles for sale at The Standard.com.hk and the link above for the full downloadable catalogue of fair offerings.
By my calculations (this can vary depending on which currency converter you use):
- this book sold for £180,000 at a Bonhams auction in June = US $262,692.
- it is for sale at the book fair for HK $ 3,950,000.
- which equals £348,744. GBP or US $508,958.
- which is a profit of £168,744 GBP or US $246,265.
- …if it sells..
- and whatever would Jane (or Anne!) think!
- My previous post “Emma on the Block” about this Emma for sale at auction last June for £180,000
- Laurel Ann at Austenprose on Anne Sharp and this edition of Emma
- the Bonhams catalogue entry including a copy of the inscription
- more on this edition at Auction Publicity.com