From the SunLive website: New Zealand is a tad far, so had to share this with you ….
Two damaged books destined for the recycling bin have been given a glamorous new life as a Jane Austen inspired frock.
The Tauranga Library promotions assistant Katherine Tham created the eye-catching display currently on show in the city library’s window, in collaboration with the Tauranga Art Gallery to promote their latest exhibition, A La Mode.
Mmmm… somthing new to do with used books!
[images from the SunLive website]
Read Full Post »
Posted in Austen Literary History & Criticism, Jane Austen, literature, News, Your Austen Library, tagged Chawton House library, Jane Austen, North American Friends of Chawton House Library, Pickering and Chatto, Sandy Lerner, Second Impressions, The Female Spectator on April 1, 2012 |
Leave a Comment »
The Female Spectator, Vol. 16, No. 1 (Winter 2012) , the newsletter of the Chawton House Library is out!
Here are the contents to whet your appetite:
- “Some Treasures in the Chawton House Library Collection” - by Margaret S. Yoon, about her “discovery” at the CHL of two very important books for her studies.
- “The Suit for a Case; Or, A Case for a Suit” – by Eleanor Marsden – on the recently restored suit belonging to Edward Austen Knight, and the need for a conservation-grade display case. [Lovely to see that JASNA member Sue Forgue of the JASNA-Greater Chicago Region, and author of the website Regency Encyclopedia , has already made a generous donation to the cause!] – if your are interested in helping, please email the Development Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
- “The Sheridan Trial” – by Helen Cole – an account of the 1787 Trial of Mrs. Lydia Sheridan, wife of Major Henry Sheridan, for adultery with Francis Newman, Esq., and the inclusion of an engraving in the CHL copy that does not seem to fit the tale…
- “A Conference of Our Own: On the 20th Anniversary of the BWWA” – by Pamela Corpron Parker – on the upcoming conference of the British Women Writers Association, June 7-10, 2012 at the University of Colorado, Boulder. See here for more details: http://www.bwwc2012.com/
- “Second Impressions by Ava Farmer: A History of a Novel” – by Sandy Lerner – on the writing and publication of her recently published Second Impressions, a sequel to Pride and Prejudice, and 26 years in the making…[see more at the Chawton House Press website.
- “‘Poetry of Taste and Refinements’: Consumer Literature in Nineteenth-Century Annuals” - by Serena Baiesi – on the fashionable gift-books with their collection of engravings and literary pieces, published between 1822 and 1850.
- And, “The Chawton Chronicles” – the letter from the CEO Stephen Lawrence [with the very exciting news that Dr. Gillian Dow will be taking on a broader role at CHL as Deputy Chief Executive and Director of Research!]; this issue’s “Faces of Chawton” column on Ray Clarke, the Maintenance Technician at CHL and his appreciation of CHL for his own and future generations; and the always-depresses-me because-I-live-over-here-and-not-over-there “Dates for your Diary” feature of upcoming lectures, tours, and conferences [you can look here on the website for upcoming events: http://www.chawton.org/news/index.html ]
You can visit the Chawton House Library here and their blog here.
If you are interested in membership, you can look here if you are in the US [North American Friends of the Chawton House Library] and here is you are in the UK [Friends of Chawton House Library.
Pickering & Chatto header
Note that Pickering & Chatto is re-publishing a number of the rare books housed in the Chawton House Library collection in new scholarly editions. This Chawton House Library Series is organized into three areas: Women’s Memoirs, Women’s Travel Writings, and Women’s Novels. How lovely it would be to buy at least ALL the 10 novels for $675 / £395 !
Copyright @2012 Jane Austen in Vermont
Read Full Post »